8.15.2006

Austria Journal: To-do lists and wonderings of outcomes of trips

Days until departure: 2Another shot of Klagenfurt from the internet

So the days are marching by. I just made a list of things to pack, and though it lists more than 60 things, I'm sure it is yet to be completed.

We got a new camcorder yesterday (our old one makes grinding noises unless it is held upside down), and are putting the finishing touches on our clothes shopping.

Right now my brain is buzzing with activity, thinking, "Wait...what else do I need? I have this, this, that, and that, okay. But what about that? Can't forget that!" It would be very unfortunate were I to forget anything.

* * *

But, thinking of the trip, I wonder what it'll be like. It will be the first time I've been away from my parents for more than a week. Will I get homesick?

It is certainly going to be a new experience for me. I haven't even been to Europe as a tourist before.

Also, I wonder how quickly I'll learn German. I know a fair amount, but can't really have a conversation with a German-speaking person yet. How long will it take before I can?

Luckily for you readers, I am going to document this transformation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. It's great you're letting so many people share this
adventure with you. In our family it is also a new adventure, thinking
about leaving you in Austria for 3 months. It will feel very different
at home without you. I'm glad we will be travelling all together for a
few weeks and enjoying the wedding of Tarot & Paulina. Today, I
realized how your going away to Europe was something your grandmother
(my mother) would have been incredibly proud of - to take the courage
to see a new country and get to know something larger than your known
world. She felt that writing and travelling and expanding one's
knowledge of the people of the world were the most important things one
could do. So, good luck my fine son.
Love, Mom